The Reading and Writing Centre facilitates programs that support students’ improvement in reading and writing. One of our programs is the Queensland Ready Reading program.
Queensland Ready Reading Program
The Reading and Writing Centre has implemented the Queensland Ready Reading (QRR) program to train parents and community members to build their confidence in supporting children's reading.
From 2018–2020, parents and community members have been trained to support students to become independent and confident readers.
School staff from around the state are now being trained to deliver Ready Reading training to parents and community volunteers at their school. At this training, participants will learn about:
- the components of reading
- how to support a child with reading
- strategies to develop independent reading skills.
Schools with Ready Reading volunteers can support students' reading by:
- providing additional opportunities for students to read
- catering for daily one-to-one reading practice for students
- assisting students to improve their reading goals
- promoting children's development as independent and confident readers
- fostering a joy of reading.